From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:56:54 -0500
Try contacting Marilyn Merdzinski, collections manager at the Public Museum of Grand Rapids (Grand Rapids MI).  The museum and the city/county offices have retrofitted an old building which will make city, county and museum archives/collections avialable to the public for research, etc.

I don't know how much of the specifics they have figured out yet.

Lana

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/06/01 02:28PM >>>
Our library hopes to oversee a cataloging project for a new museum being
planned by our city.  We wish to integrate the artifact and archival catalog
records with our system so that our patrons may access information about the
holdings of both.

I realize that there are many proprietary programs currently in use, such as
Re:discovery, that have been designed to integrate museum holdings.  What
we're trying to find out is a bit more basic.  Is there a standard format
for descriptions used by museums, similar to the MARC record/AACR2/ISBD
description standard for libraries?  The way I understand AACR2, these rules
are flexible enough to cover artifacts and archival items as well as
standard print & other more common media types.  So, are there museums out
there using the MARC record?  Is there some similar standard that's fairly
prevalent?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions of where to look for further
information.  Thanks!
Lyn Gardner
Catalog Assistant
Hampton Public Library