From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:31:10 -0700
CAVEAT:  I know this sounds stupid, but I have to ask
anyway.

Can you use smooth peanut butter on this chewing gum?
You use it (or crunchy, depending upon how bad) on gum
in hair, but I've used peanut butter on my car when I
stupidly threw my chewing gum out on a hot day.  It
didn't land on the street.  It landed on my car door
and melted.  My beautiful teal car looked ruined, and
I didn't want to chip off the paint.  So I wiped
peanut butter on it, and it came off.  The paint was
fine.

I'm thinking that MAYBE the oil in the peanut butter
wouldn't be harmful to the piano.  The only caveat, of
course, other than that is there are people with
peanut allergies for whom you need to show caution.

I know.  It's dumb, but it seems almost logical to me.

--- P Boylan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The most reliable method of shifting chewing gum
> from paving or metal is
> to freeze the patch rapidly to a very low
> temperature.  This makes it go
> crystalline and it then breaks up into powder when
> it is stuck with
> e.g. a light mallet or hammer.  There are special
> kits available for this
> (try an janitorial supplies firm).  However, I've
> seen people do this with
> a blast from a liquid carbon dioxide fire
> extinguisher, or sound out a
> friendly local plumber, who will probably have a
> liquid nitrogen kit that
> they use to freeze water and heating pipes
> temporarily so that they can
> carry out work on a system without having spend time
> (and expense)
> draining down the whole of the plumbing system.
>
> There will probably be a residual stain initially,
> but on a chunk of brass
> as solid as that on a Steinway you could use an
> ordinary brass polish on
> this.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
Check out the REVISED Got Links, your one-stop portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414  Updated 02/14/02