From:
Flavia Perugini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:40:58 -0500
Nina,

As a conservator (and member of AIC) I have some experience with marble
cleaning.

To remove wax, surface dirt and grime from the surface of the marble I would
try either of the following recipes:
1. an emulsion of de-ionized water, mineral spirit and a drop of non-ionic
detergent - it is important that you don't just use 'any' detergent if you
want to prevent damage - applied with cotton wool/swabs, and subsequently
rinsed well with clean de-ionized water;
2. a solution of de-ionized water and citric acid (try 100 ml water & 1 g
citric acid) - adjust the pH to around 7.5 with Ammonium hydroxide - and,
again, rinsed with clean de-ionized water.

If you have problems in finding these supplies, then distilled water and
mineral spirit, either on their own or mixed, may work.
I recommend that you do not use any acid which would etch the surface of the
marble.  Also, commercial cleaning agents should be avoided as they would
cause, in the long run, pitting and degradation of the marble, not to
mention faster and worst re-deposition of soil.
After cleaning you may want to apply some microcrystalline wax for
protection.

Please let me know if you need suppliers' names etc.

Flavia Perugini, conservator
George Washington's Mount Vernon
P.O. Box 110
Mount Vernon, VA 22121-0110