From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:26:38 -0500
A lot depends on when and where the artifacts were sold.  The 1970
UNESCO Convention on Cultural Property (which the US did not sign onto
until much later) basically agreed that the illegal removal of whatever
the individual countries defined as "cultural property" was considered
theft and needed to be returned posthaste.  Each country had their own
rules about how things could be exported legally--and most countries had
rules that there was no such thing as legally being able to remove
cultural property from their boundaries.  There were earlier conventions
too--a Berne convention rings the chimes in my mind. These earlier
conventions had a different set of signatories.

If artifacts were, for example, pulled out of the ground after the time
the US signed onto the 1970 convention, and the country defined them as
"cultural property," and had one of those very restrictive sets of
rules, then yes, purchasing it and removing it from the country is
considered theft.  Even if a private citizen wanted to sell one of their
private-collection paintings by a national artist (as happens in England
all the time) to a resident of another signatory-country, they could not
do it if the painting was considered "cultural property" and they didn't
go through all the various permissions.  Imagine if someone today
happened to privately own a Vermeer and wanted to sell it away from the
Netherlands.  I don't think the Netherlands would let that happen.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN
(317) 875-5500 x230