Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 17:01:46 EWT
   At least in my experience, a Curator of Collections does vastly more
than 'just' registration of incoming artifacts, record-keeping of loans, etc.
In my case, I'm also conservator (actually my prime interest, though
cataloguing takes most of my time), downstairs janitor, trash taker-outer,
recycling hauler, groundskeeper, secretary, researcher, liaison to the local
museum alliance, docent coordinator, recruiter and trainer, person who locates
and redispositions items used in exhibits, carpenter, publicity person, who
makes the exhibit labels because I have access to a computer and laser
printer at school, etc., ETC.  I don't think it's a matter of semantics. At
least here with our professional staff of two [the other curator does exhibits
and writes the column for the newspaper, is upstairs janitor, plant waterer,
   As was pointed out several weeks ago, in a small museum the staff must be
willing/able to do more than a job description might suggest, and there are
many avenues leading to a foot in the door.
   Chris Bobbitt, Curator of Collections, Monroe Co. Historical Museum
   Bloomington, Ind.    [log in to unmask]