From:
Brad Holderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:20:22 -0800
Diane,

You are correct in regards to the eight character
format problem which I mentioned in a private message
to Patricia (Museum-L doesn't like attachments).

But, there are several programs that may do the job.
Most of these programs do typically work with TifG4
images, but I am sure there are a few for jpgs.  I
would check out CNET and search for "file renaming"
or "indexing."

Also, if the files names are in a standard ascending
descending order, I have several myself.

Since my original response was private, I thought I
would respond to your correspondence, publicly.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that they haven't
revised the DOS environment in nearly 10 years.

--- Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You can rename files in DOS under Windows but you
> can't use the file names
> that you've chosen; they're too long and violate the
> 8 character rule. Why
> don't you want to use the rename command in Windows?
>
> To get help with any DOS command from windows, first
> go to the root
> directory using the Change Directory command (cd)
>
> You don't actually have to do this but when you
> shell out of Windows you're
> automatically put into the Windows directory and,
> since you'll probably want
> to start from the root directory anyway, this is a
> good habit.
>
> Then type the command with a slash and a question
> mark (rename/?)
>
> The help file is then listed and will show the
> proper paramaters and
> switches for the command.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Diane Gutenkauf

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Cordially,

Brad Holderman
ARTIFACT INK - Documentation for the Archaeological Science
8158 Winter Gardens Blvd. #24
Lakeside, CA 92040
(619) 390-7955