From:
Rusty Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:05:37 -0400
Chris,

Before I was reborn as a museum professional, I was a teacher and spent a
few years substituting before landing a job.  The dangling carrot of
possible employment is a bait with which I am familiar.  Public schools need
substitutes, especially reliable ones, so much that they will hire an
inexperienced recent grad to fill a FT role and keep the subs subbing.  It
was very frustrating.

Keep hoping to be hired, especially if you love the work.  I would also keep
volunteering and doing your best if you are enjoying it for what it is.  I
would not confuse the hope of being hired with the work at hand overly much.

If you need to draw a line, perhaps there is a big, special project for
which your work will be required and the museum will value not only your
work but also your relationship to the institution enough to throw some
money at you, either as a PT 'er or an independent contractor.  You may have
to ask because you won't be asked out of the museum's hope that you will
volunteer.  You won't get what you don't ask for, generally speaking.  The
worst you will hear is "no."

Hang in there,
Rusty