From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:03:23 -0600
Richard,

Now I understand. I suspected we might be talking about different things.
You were looking at Amy's documentary photographs in the art sense, and I
was not.

You are of course correct that works that are intended as art or contain
some substantial portion of another work of art have other copyright
issues, and would not fall into any work for hire category. Whether or not
the rights to the images are held by the museum or the photographer, the
creator of the works photographed would have to be consulted on publication
or reproduction. That is a given.

We are also using the term "work for hire" in different ways, but I will
let that sleeping dog lie. We will not be able to agree.

Thanks for all the info. Have a great day.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Robert Panzer
             <rpanzer@VAGARIGH
             TS.COM>                                                    To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: copyright release form

             01/11/2005 03:23
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I am not sure under what circumstances both entities would "naturally
retain
copyrights".  Based on the information provided, it seems pretty clear that
the independent photographer would have copyrights in his photos.

Furthermore, in this scenario the narrow categories are not referring to
paintings or sculpture, but to the photographs of the painting or
sculpture.
The art depicted in the photos may have its own copyright, and in all
likelihood, such copyrights would be owned by the creator of the art, not
the museum and certainly not the photographer, unless the artist
transferred
the copyrights in writing to the museum.  So if the museum or another party
were to reproduce the photos into say, a book, then permission to do so
would need to come from the artist.

The photos of the works of art are either slavish copies without any real
copyright of their own(see Bridgeman v Corel)or are "derivative" copyrights
under the law.  Derivatives are new copies that include other copyrighted
material.  The creator of the derivative is beholden to the creator of the
original.  But whatever new content the derivative creator added would be
under the new creator's copyright.  For example, to make a movie of say,
the
latest Steven King novel, the movie producers would need to get permission
and pay fees to Steven King, the copyright holder in the book.  When the
movie is made, it is clearly very different from the book, but it wouldn't
be the movie it is without the King contribution.  The movie is a
"derivative" of the book.  The producer owns the copyright in the movie but
not the content provided by King.  Now let's say a TV cartoon producer
wanted to make a cartoon very much based on the movie, this producer would
need to get permission from both the movie producer and Steven King.

Mr. Janzen states, "There is plenty of case law to support the notion that
work for hire need not be supported by a specific contract."  Not since the
passing of the 1976 (effective 1978) copyright act.  Section 101 states
that
there may be a work made for hire "...if the parties expressly agree in a
written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work
made for hire."

Mr. Janzen states, "You are right however in stating that a contract is
necessary for a "commission"."  Actually, I did not say that.  In fact,
there could be a verbal commission contract, even though it would be a very
bad idea to do it that way. But there CANNOT be a work for hire contract
(except for employees)that is not in writing and signed by both parties.

Sincerely,

Robert Panzer

VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association)
350 Fifth Avenue
Suite 2820
New York, NY  10118
tel: 212 736 6666