From:
Catherine Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:16:14 -0500
Greetings,

"BackStory with the American History Guys"--a new history-based public
radio show produced at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and
hosted by historians Ed Ayers, Peter Onuf, and Brian Balogh--announces
that a show on the history of populism in America is in the works. (Find
more general information about "BackStory" at www.backstoryradio.org.)

Here is a short description of what we're up to with the "Populism" episode:

The Extraordinariness of the Ordinary: Populism in America
Joe the Plumber and his geographic equivalent, “Main Street,” were both
major figures in Election ‘08. “We the People” have finally spoken and…
wait a second, who’s “we” and what did “we” say, anyway? On this show,
we’ll explore the many faces of populism — that notion of the power of
ordinariness that Americans have both idealized and feared. We’ll ask
how a term describing a 19th century agrarian reform movement came to
stand in for the interests of average Americans, and explore the
connections between populism and American religion. Was our Revolution
the work of The People or a few powerful people? How, historically, have
we translated “the voice of the people” into a language that makes sense
to all of us?

"BackStory" is a call-in show, and invites your participation. Being a
caller takes about ten minutes and involves posing a question or comment
regarding the history of populism to the show's hosts and then sticking
around for the conversation to follow. The discussion is taped, not
live. In addition, if the history of populism in America is your field
of study, producers invite your ideas and comments. Recording sessions
will be held on the morning of December 5th.

PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL TO CATHERINE MOORE ([log in to unmask]) OR POST A
COMMENT ON www.backstoryradio.org IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING.
Feel free to forward this message to any patrons, staff, friends,
family, etc., who may be interested.

The conversation begins on "BackStory"'s website--leave us a comment and
see what others are saying at www.backstoryradio.org. We hope to hear
from you soon!

--
Catherine Moore