From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 11:57:26 PST
        Hi all ---

        Some comments about photo-CD and in-house digitizing.  Photo-CD
is an excellent way to convert slides or photographs into a friendly
format.  The resolution for photo-CD is tremendous really (you can get
up to 3000X2000).  However, the cost per slide or negative is
approximately $1.00.  Once the photo-CD is done, you will of course
need a CD-ROM drive to read the images and some kind of good program
to convert and manipulate the images.  I have not used Adobe PhotoShop,
but I have heard that it can deal with photo-CD images.  It is also
an excellent program for editing, etc...
        Buying a slide digitizer is also a possibility.  Depending on
how many images you plan to digitize, a slide digitizer can save you
money in the long run over photo-CD.  Slide digitizers range in price
depending on what kind of quality you demand.  The price/performance
curve starts leveling out around $1500.  A good slide digitizer will give
image resolution on the order of 1000X1000.  Most slide digitizers include
some kind of imaging box, a card to stick into a slot expansion and
a program.  Some, I guess, use SCSI ports.
        I have some information gleaned from various computer magazines
that I can pass along if people are interested, like names of companies
that sell slide digitizers.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Robert Guralnick | Museum of Paleontology | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696