From:
Alan Heaberlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:18:51 -0800
As a professional with many years of personnel
management behind me I would like to comment on
this thread of education/experience in relation to
job qualification.
Though relevant education is desirable, I prefer
to see job-relevant experience on a resume. I have
put a number of people with 2 year psychology
degrees into demanding technical positions with
great success.
Someone with multiple Ph.D. may have deficient
life experience to function in a high pressure
environment where formal and specific education
may prove no benefit. A variety of experience
though, is a benefit to someone who has proven the
discipline necessary to attain a degree.
Another important factor is avocational activities
and community involvement. This is indicative of
someone who has well rounded interests,
communicative skills and the ability to work
outside of their educational box. People who can
get away from their work on a regular basis to
decompress are usually better adjusted and more
focused on the job.
Getting a job is basically a matter of selling
yourself. Any sales manager will tell you that a
sales presentation's main purpose is to eliminate
your prospect's objections to the product--in this
case YOU.
Just a bit of perspective from someone who has
read and written many successful resumes.
Alan Heaberlin