From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:40:02 -0500
That is a large question. I used to work at the National archives and all old papers had some musty smell, it is from age, mildew or dust (or all of the above).

Putting them in acid free boxes and/or mylar sleeves will keep them from mustying up the space in which they are kept and will help preserve them. Keeping them in the dark will slow down the yellowing and disentigration as will dry cool storage space. Most newspapers are now on microfilm which is a wonderful and permanent way of having them for reference as newspaper disentigrates quickly due to high acid content. Some old magazines, such as Harper's Bazar have higher acid contents than others also and yellow and get smelly and frail more quickly because of this.

If the musty odor is from mildew, you need to isolate it with mylar sleeves and/or have it cleaned carefully.

Never use rubber bands or paper clips on the papers, they do horrible things (rust, outgas, leave dents) in years to come. and store paper flat.

I would talk to a paper conservator/dealer, most towns have them and could give you more detailed advice. There are also many websites that offer davice on paper conservation.

Elizabeth Walton

Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Anyone have tips or suggestions on how to remove musty odors from oldnewspapers and magazines?

Thanks in advance