From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 09:11:34 -0400
Just a few points regarding this (free = worthless) (?) discussion.  We four
children were taken to libraries and museums practically from birth, and as
a result of being indoctrinated thusly into our parents' value systems we
don't know any better than to value museums and books. (I was also kept
quiet as an infant by the playing of the Brandenburg Concerti, and therefore
have had to maintain a love of classical music in the face of a hostile
world.)  As far as not valuing something because it is free or cheap, the
basic problem there is that how much it costs is the only criterion most of
society has been equipped with for evaluation.  If a society is not taught
from birth to value time, training, craftsmanship, skill, practice,
tradition, any and all of the trappings of history and culture, then sure,
the mall will win out over the museum every time.  But shucks, now you're
going to ask me what to do about all this, and gosh darn, I just don't have
any answers that won't take generations to put into practice.  And by then
will the world have changed beyond all recognition and none of this matter
any more?
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]