From:
Lois Herr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:28:00 -0500
I am sending this for a friend.  Please respond to the address listed at the end of the message.  Lois Herr

Dear friends,
I apologise for sending you an unsolicited email, but our need is great, and I
hope that you would want to help us save John Muir's historic birthplace in
Scotland, which is under threat of imminent destruction. As you may well be
aware, Muir spent some time in Illinois working in the carriage factory where he
was temporarily blinded.

Please visit the website I have created at:
http://www.savejohnmuirhouse.org.uk - and see if you feel moved to help.

John Muir's house in Dunbar, Scotland, is one of the few sites of global
environmental pilgrimage, and is as valued much as Aldo Leopold's Sand Counties
Shack, Thoreau's cabin at Walden Pond, or John Burroughs's cabin at Slabsides.

John Muir House was built in 1780, and Muir as born there in 1838; it is a truly
ancient building - created forty years before the death of Napoleon and some
time before the American Constitution was drafted.  An appalling architectural
'renovation' scheme has been devised and approved in total secrecy, which
proposes to gut and destroy all three floors of this historic listed building.
Nothing will be left but the walls, the roof and an empty stone void. In this
eviscerated box, the 'radical' architect Richard Murphy proposes to install a:
"free-standing, high-tech, timber framed tower", packed with plasma screens,
VDUs, computers and exhibition panels.
He proposes that tourists and school groups should climb this tower via an
internal staircase and peep out through wooden window openings, to peer at the
ruined interior walls of the Muir House, on which he will affix exhibition
panels.

We regard this as brutal, heritage vandalism of the most appalling kind.  And we
need your help to stop it.

I append a few letters and articles for your information.  We have just nine
days left to lodge objections, but we are appealing to the Scottish Government
to 'call-in' the planning application and instigate a full Public enquiry - and
to stop this vandalism.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
I hope you would help us oppose the destruction of John Muir's original
birthplace by:

a. Visiting the website and reading about the issues
b. Distribute this email to your members who are on email
c. Write a letter of objection in a personal, or an official capacity
e. Use your journal or other media to communicate this issue to your membership
network

 I apologise for sending out a 'round robin' but I am 3000 miles away and just
harvested names from your website. I am not normally in the habit of
cold-calling people, even if we share a common mission to conserve Nature.

Graham White
Save John Muir Campaign
Broxmouth Gardens
Broxmouth Park