Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:45:21 +0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Ruth EJ James
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>For all of those who are offended by various forms of
>marketing/research/development, what kinds of methods might you find 'user
>friendly'? As a membership/development person myself, I'm always looking for
>ways to appeal to the public ... ways that will get my mailings read,
>interviews listened to, etc.etc. etc.
>
>When you, as individuals (take off your museum hats), are approached in
>regards to giving to a non-profit organization, what methods are likely to
>not only arouse but sustain your curiousity? What makes you decide to
>consider upping your level of contribution?

speaking of websites only:  i haven't visited the site in question.
however, i've visited other sites where information was requested.  i do
not continue into a site if questions are asked of me before i actually
get to experience anything interesting.  (the same goes for sites that are
slow, sloppy or laden with say, 100k images, when 10k would do just
fine.)  if i find a site well-done (and the organization has something
worth responding to) then i respond.  so as far as i'm concerned, a
voluntary questionaire at the bottom of a page is perfectly legitimate.

if the quality of the content of your page is there, you don't need to
overwhelm me with marketing.  i will happily volunteer.  also, a promise
(however dubious i am about promises) that my personal information will
not be sold or provided to spammers helps.

i do not respond to unsolicited email and i delete spam without consideration.

kjk