From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:25:11 -0800
As several people have enquired about distance education courses, I thought
it would be useful to let people know that the Cultural Resource Management
at the University of Victoria in British Columbia has two print and
video-based distance courses, which begin this September and can be taken
on either a credit or non-credit basis. One is 'Introduction to Museum
Studies' which provides a comprehensive look at museum principles and
practice. The other is 'Introduction to Heritage Conservation.'

Further information on these courses is available from the Program's web
site at http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp.crmphome.htm, or by contacting Brenda
Weatherston at [log in to unmask] (Telephone - 604-721-8462)

As well, we will begin development of 'Museum Information Management' in a
computer mediated distance format in September, in the hope of having it
available to you by late Spring. We also intend to develop three other
computer mediated distance courses, with a museum focus, in 'Financial
Development and Management', Human Resource Management' and 'Multi-media in
Programs and Exhibitions' over the next year if funding becomes available.
In addition to these initiatives, we will be introducing advance
preparation modules for some of our on-campus immersion courses that reduce
the on-campus components from eight to five days in order to make it easier
for people to get away from their desks for coursework. Finally, we hope to
make greater use of listservs to connect participants and resource people
both before and after classes to enhance the networking aspect of
coursework.

As we think about the development of these courses, I would be very
interested to hear from people about the factors which appeal to them about
both print- and computer-based distance education, the concerns that they
have about studying in this format, and about the approaches and topics
which would be of greatest interest. I'm just finishing a study leave from
my position as Program Director of the Cultural Resource Management
Program, and am preparing a report on the some research I've done on
mid-career museum professionals' attitudes toward continuing professional
education, and the factors which motivate or deter their participation in
learning activities. Your input would be valued!

Thanks,

Joy Davis
604 477 0072