From:
murph the surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:04:01 +0100
Seems to me multilingual labels would be a wonderful opportunity for some
cultural subversion. I saw a wall label in a Canadian museum in French and
English and wondered if the English was a translation of the French, the
French of the English or whether they were composed independently. Given
the cultural politics of Canada the French seemed to be more political in
its content. But that may have been because my first language is English
and am obvlivious to the political content.

Reminds me of the problems Coca-Cola has had with translation of the
brandname in China.

ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
http://artnetweb.com
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013  212-925-1885
NEW THIS WEEK: http://artnetweb.com/resource/new.html