Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:28:37 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>Does this mean that all of these objects are now accessioned
>into the collection?

Our policy is that a Deed of Gift does not = accession.  The curators can,
based on the Collections Management Policy, decide that the object is not
appropriate for the permanent collection.  It can be put into the
education collection (used up by students), or sold.  Of course, this is
with clear communication with the donors.  Sometimes donors are happier
that students will be using their gift rather than it being stuck in
storage somewhere.  Or, that proceeds from sale will be used to buy
something in their name.
A Deed of Gift just means that they really truly gave it to us (no
givebacks!).  We have the usual verbiage to the effect that the museum can
use/dispose of the object as we see fit (not to imply that we don't have
careful procedures).
Don't get stuck with useless stuff!  Expensive to store, inventory, etc.
Will Garrison
Collections Manager
Historic Deerfield, Inc.