From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:07:39 -0500
My museum did our first (annual) Spirit Walk of a local cemetery this past
October. We also used a living history approach, with re-enactors portraying
various "residents." Quite frankly, the only thing "Halloweenish" about the
event was that it occurred in October. Of course, we held the Spirit Walk at
dusk, and lit the path with luminaries - or tried to. (We had a really
strong front pass through the day of the event, with 40-50 mph wind gusts
all evening.) We focused on a handful of "residents" and talked about their
lives and their contribution to our City's heritage. I made sure that the
subjects were diverse and appealing to the general population.

Our local cemetery needs some attention and this walk helped raise the
community consciousness. We also got a LOT of positive feedback and requests
for additional cemetery based walks and lectures. I'm actually planning a
summer evening lecture series there.

Becky Fitzgerald
Susquehanna Museum