Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:28:35 -0500
I think maybe one of the reasons it's been hard to give a straight answer
is that many museums do not really have a good handle on how much they
spend on becoming better known in their community.  Many of the things we
do serve dual (or triple) purposes.

I used to apply for community grants (when we really weren't very well
known) just as much for the money as for the five people reading my
proposal who would say to themselves "I didn't know we had an Indian museum
in Evanston" and maybe visit.   PR is generally "cheaper" than advertising
(most of us can't afford advertising at all), but requires fairly
well-written copy, a good mailing list and time.  It's taken us three years
to build up our credibility in both the local press and national subject
specific magazines.   For each temporary exhibit (2 a year) we put up a big
banner on the side of the building.  And we STILL (after 4 years) get first
time community visitors that say "I didn't know you were open".   A well
worded website first page can be a draw too (thank heavens for whatever
inspired me to put Chicago and Indian in the first paragraph of ours, so
that we come out in the top 5 on most search engines under Indian Museum
Chicago).   As I say, all of these serve multiple purposes and it is hard
to put a dollar figure on most of them.

I chaired a session at AAM a couple of years ago called Painting the Door
Red (which I think was probably one of the hardest I've done personally)
that addressed some of issues.  When I showed my small group of slides, it
became apparent that the session title was NOT a metaphor: since one of the
main questions I had gotten in my early days as Director was "where's the
front door?" (we're on a corner lot) I had literally painted the door red.
Should that go in my PR budget or my maintenance budget?

I know this still doesn't answer the question, but I hope it has helped
explain why many of us can't answer the question.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org