From:
Cliff quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 1994 16:07:08 -0700
Diana Mak recently said:

>I realize the American situation is somewhat different, but in Canada and
>in Britain, most (not all) museums, libraries and archives are public
>institutions, paid for out of our tax dollars. It is unethical and
>reprehensible to require people to pay for them yet again

I think Diana should have another hard look at our museums here in
Canada. *MANY* museums and galleries are at least partially funded by
their own revenues, and with current fiscal situation *MOST* are being
made much more accountable for every cent they spend.

I face the situation where I am trying to help museums in BC computerize
and network, yet many do not have computers that can even do word
processing. The single staff person is burdened with more and more
requests for information, yet there is no money for additional staff or
equipment.

One way museums can justify their existence is by making people more
aware that the services they render are of value, and must be paid for.
Diana may be studying the history of museums, but I think her remarks
show little knowledge of the current situation.

These remarks do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the BCMA.

Cliff Quinn, Dogwood Museum Network Coordinator
BC Museums Association
Ph: (604) 387-3315 [log in to unmask]