From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:25:48 -5
Until a few years ago, we had a "donations" system.  A survey was conducted and
found that poorer families were not the ones foregoing the charge.  It seemed
like a matter of pride to them to pay their way.  The majority of people not
paying were college students, most of them from affluent families.  They
appeared to be not donating out of principle, rather than poverty (students
wearing designer clothing and accessories wouldn't seem impoverished).
This is one of many examples of the attitude that "the world owes me" among
college (undergrad and grad) students.  The attitude seems to be rampant, and a
poor justification for maintaining a donation system.  Since the donation
system was not benefitting the target group, it was decided to switch to
admission charges.

Robin K Panza                   [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds, Carnegie MNH
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA