From:
Paula Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:42:56 -0500
I took the grantsmanship center 5-day course about 4 years ago. The thing
that I found most valuable is that they do teach you how to think about
how your proposal is structured--which is invaluable when you are working
with ideas that may not be fully formed.

I am using the basic structure that I was taught at the Grantsmanship
Center to craft proposals for the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota., FL.
The process provides a framework that is invaluable when I work with
Museum educators and others to seek funding for their projects. I would
highly recommend the course. One of the most valuable aspects of the
course was the actual practice of "writing a grant" in class and then
having it critiqued by your peers in class.

When I took the class I was writing for a local PBS station and there were
no other arts agencies or PBS organizations taking the class. I didn't
find that a problem--you learn by doing and learning how others approach
your problem is interesting.  I paid for my course myself--it was only
later that I got a job as a grantswriter--but my record has been very good.

In terms of other resources I would recommend the Foundation Director and
the various Taft Directories. The Grantsmanship Center does teach you
about the variety of research materials out there.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to call me.

Paula Parrish
Grants Manager
Ringling Museum of Art
941-359-5714