From:
Alex Avdichuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:55:53 -0500
Education has value to those that appreciate it.  Whether 'those' are the
people doing the hiring or the people being hired will depend on the
individual situation.  I was taught to believe that getting an education
will always be beneficial, no matter how far you are fortunate enough to
go.

And as one of my lecturers in Museum Studies told us, when having a Museum
Studies degree was not a common thing at the senior management level in
museums, (or having an MBA in a museum setting):  the degree might not get
you an interview if the interviewer doesn't have the same qualifications,
but as more and more degree holders advance in the field, they will soon be
the ones doing the hiring, and they ARE going to be looking for people with
similar qualifications.

The bottom line (IMHO): Get the best education you can possibly afford.

Alex Avdichuk
City of Toronto
Arts, Culture and Heritage Services