From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:36:45 -0400
I am a friend of Sharlot Hall Museum's interim director and wrote to
ask him if the piece of hard tack is still in the museum's
collections.  He wrote:  "Yes we still have it. It lives in an acid
free box in storage with temp and humidity control. No problems so
far. Surprising it lived the 85 or so years before it got to us."

So, yes, a piece of baked goods can last that long under the right conditions!

Martha Katz-Hyman