From:
Brenda Brewster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:44:49 +0000
Hi James,

Our gallery has been involved with the Sonic Arts Research Centre of Queens
University who were using 'Cricket' sensor technology (small circuit boards
manufactured by Willow Technologies) to develop an audio system which knows
where you are in the gallery and will speak the description of a piece to
you.

This has unfortunately been racked with technical problems and looking back
maybe wish we had went for the off-the shelf systems already in existence.
Oh the joys of development!

If you are still searching for info, a useful point of contact for me was
Catherine Hillis from the Blind Centre, and their 'Vovaleyes' project.

Companies I have come across which provide audio systems are Acoustiguide
(www.acoustiguide.com) and Also RSF Europe (www.rsf-europe.com,
[log in to unmask]).  Maybe try Claude Le Guyader ([log in to unmask]
for the descriptions themselves.

Best of luck.   Maybe let me know how you are getting on.

Brenda

Brenda Brewster
Outreach Development Coordinator

Belfast Exposed Photography
The Exchange Place | 23 Donegall Street | BELFAST | BT1 2FF
T: 028 9023 1009 W: www.belfastexposed.org E: [log in to unmask]