From:
Tracie Kay Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:13:13 -0600
Speaking only from my experience, I didn't volunteer before I got my
first job but rather capitalized on my undergraduate and graduate
internships, work, classes and connections.

During Undergraduate and Graduate School, I looked for ways to gain a
variety of experience through different types of interships (some paid,
some not) to show that I had a variety of skills needed for employment.
 I also ASKED while I was interning if I could do certain types of
activities.  For example, I wanted to have more exhibit experience and
so I asked if I could do an exhibit for them.  It was only a three
section wallcase exhibit but I developed the idea, did the research,
found the artifacts, wrote the text and did all the mounting with no
budget.  It was a great way to showcase my abilities.

I also, maximized my cources to show my versatility, flexability and
knowledge and made sure that I took as many hands-on courses as possible.

A third thing that I did while I was in school was I worked for a
retailer where I did customer service, stockroom supervision and
inventory work.  On my resume I showed that many of the customer
services skills, inventory skills and management skills that I had
learned parelleled  museum work and was another experience level.  I
also was there for five years while I was getting my degrees and this
showed my stability and ability to work with others.

The last thing that I did was stay in close contact with my Graduate
Professors while I was a student and a Graduate Assistant (I did
research and grading but no teaching) and was hooked up with a local
organization that needed some patent research done.  This was payed work
and was a great resume booster.

I'm not sure that volunteering is the only way to get good experience.
 I think it is important to utilize you degree programs, you "paid"
non-musuem employment, and your connections to also help get that
experience.  Oh, I almost forgot.  I also took a seminar (that I paid
for) through the local county historical society on a topic that was not
offered through the university and it has proven very valuable.

Good Luck
Tracie Evans
Curator of Collection and Historic Sites Collections Committee Chair
Stonefield Historic Site
Wisconsin Historical Society