From:
Cold War Times <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:46:17 -0700
THIS EMAIL IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. YOUR
REPLY WILL NOT BE RECEIVED BY A PERSON.

IN ORDER TO ADD, REMOVE, OR UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, YOU MUST VISIT
www.coldwartimes.com AND ENTER THE INFORMATION ONLINE.

Dear Friends and Supporters of The Cold War Museum,

The May 1 issue of the Cold War Times is now posted for viewing online at
www.coldwartimes.com. Over the past decade, the Cold War Museum has made
great strides in honoring Cold War veterans and preserving Cold War
history. I am writing to provide you with a brief update.

After more than three years of working with The Cold War Museum in their
effort to locate at the former Lorton Nike Missile Base, on March 13,
2008 Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) imposed an April 1 deadline on
the museum to show financial capability for phase one. The Museum
requested a ninety-day extension in order to set up meetings with donors
who had pledged six and seven figures once a lease was in place. Fairfax
County Park Authority denied the museum's request for a 90-day extension
and on April 1 denied their application for use of the former Lorton Nike
Missile base.

These recent developments have opened channels of communication with
Prince William County and Isle of Wright County to explore the benefits
of locating the museum in their municipalities. All options are back on
the table including partnering with a museum or university interested in
adding the most comprehensive Cold War collections to its holdings.
Everything happens for a reason. The museum is a functional museum in all
aspects except for brick and mortar. Eventually, we will find a suitable
partner with a permanent location that we can call home.

Read the most recent news articles about these developments online in the
Fairfax Connections -
www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=327984&paper=81&cat=104
and Fairfax Times - www.fairfaxtimes.com/news/2009/apr/24/museum-
negotiations-end .

In order to continue to move forward, the Board of Directors for The Cold
War museum are looking for a "Champion" to assist with our fundraising
efforts. Tom Hanks and Senator Dole were the Champions for the WWII
Memorial. Ross Perot was the Champion for the USAF Memorial. John
Travolta and Udvar Hazy were the Champions for the Smithsonian Air and
Space Museum. If you have any suggestions on who would make a good
"Champion" for The Cold War Museum and can help facilitate an
introduction, please let me know.

The Cold War Museum is pleased to announce the loan of several unique
Checkpoint Charlie artifacts to the Diefenbunker Museum in Ottawa, Canada,
 which joins the Atomic Bunker in Harnekop, Germany, and the
International Spy Museum in Washington, DC in temporarily displaying some
of our artifacts until the museum finds a permanent home. The mobile
exhibit on the U-2 Incident, the "Spies of Washington Tour," and related
educational activities continue to generate interest and support. The
mobile U-2 Incident exhibit recently concluded a six-month display at the
New Berlin Library (www.newberlin.lib.wi.us) in WI. Dates are now being
scheduled for 2010, which corresponds to the 50th Anniversary of the U-2
Incident. The educational Spy Tour of Washington (www.spytour.com) is
booking group tours online. Email [log in to unmask] for more info on
exhibit bookings and tours.

May 1, 2009 marks the 49 anniversary of the U-2 Incident. To commemorate
this historic flight, I am pleased to announce that Sue Bunch, (moderator
on the Google Earth Community) has created an extensive Google Earth
entry dedicated to my father's flight as outlined in his book "Operation
Overflight". In order to view the flight path, historical photos, and
excerpts from the book, you will need to download a free copy of Google
Earth at www.googleearth.com . After you install Google Earth, visit
<http://tinyurl.com/6nacwc> or <http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?
ubb=showflat&Number=1185352>, where you will be able to download the U-2
Incident template to view on Google Earth.

The Cold War Museum is pleased to announce the formation of its Caribbean
Chapter. I would like to thank volunteer Raul Colon of Puerto Rico for
all the hard work he has done to establish this chapter, which
compliments the museum chapters in Berlin, Germany and Milwaukee,
Wisconsin staffed by volunteers. Our Berlin Chapter is making excellent
progress as part of the coordinating committee for the 60 Anniversary of
the Berlin Airlift. Our Midwest Chapter recently helped to open channels
of communications with the Des Plaines Rotary Club near Chicago for
support from Rotary International (Blog Posting - www.dpdart.blogspot.
com). For more information on our chapters, please visit www.coldwar.
org/museum/museum_chapters.html.

I have been serving on the 20th Anniversary Fall of the Berlin Wall
Committee (www.freedomwithoutwalls.org) and recently had dinner with
Mikhail Gorbachev (<http://gorbachev.gmu.edu>) before his lecture at
George Mason University earlier this year. Initial communications between
the Gorbachev Foundation and the Cold War Museum has begun.

Please consider a 2009 contribution to The Cold War Museum. Your tax
deductible donation will help ensure future generations remember Cold War
events and personalities that forever altered our understanding of
national security, international relations, and personal sacrifice for
one's country.

For more information, or to subscribe to our quarterly newsletter list,
please visit www.coldwar.org. Together we can make this vision a reality.

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

Francis Gary Powers, Jr.
Founder
The Cold War Museum
P.O. Box 178