From:
David Hupert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:04:23 -0400
At 10:43 AM 10/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Okay, you interesting, diverse, worldly, caring, well-traveled, intelligent
>people ... who knows something about not-to-be-missed historic sites or
>museums in Tamil Nadu, India?
>
>I am going there in January to participate in the PolioPlus National
>Immunization Day that Rotary co-sponsors. I will have a limited amount of
>time in Madurai, Kodaikanal, Dindigul, Karur, Thekkadi and Trichy, if
>anyone knows something about these places. (We will have only two days in
>Delhi to see the Taj Mahal, Red Fort and anything else.) Yes, I have my
>"Lonely Planet" guide, but it would be nice to hear from your point of view.
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>Karen

Karen,
I wish I could give you some advice about Southern India, but I've not yet
been there.  However, two years ago I had a three day layover in Delhi on
my way from Tokyo to Tashkent.  Via the Internet we arranged to have a car
and driver meet us at the airport and take us directly to Agra to see the
Mogul architectural monuments, especially the Taj.  The trip was about
three hours and the experience worth a lifetime.  The intensity of life
along that road, Brahmin bulls lounging on the median, extravagantly
painted and overloaded trucks and busses careening past tall carts pulled
by trotting camels whose legs seemed to be flying in all directions at
once, made all the difficulties of travel in India seem worthwhile.  We
stayed two nights at the Sheraton in Agra, pricey but very nice.

E-mail me off list and I can send you the info on the local, low keyed but
reliable travel agent who arranged the driver and an appropriately
attentive guide.  (ie. he answered questions and made suggestions. No
lecture.)

Two words of advice about the Taj: It is closed on Mondays, really closed;
and if you are there at 6 AM other days when it opens you have the place to
yourselves for a while.

We are going back to India in December, this time for three weeks to
western Gujerat and Rajastan, mostly to see early textiles.  Do you, or
does any one else on the list have suggestions for seeing the Rann of Kuch,
Ahmadabad, Jaipur, Jaisalmer and the surrounding area?

Have a great trip.

David Hupert