From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 17:53:49 -0400
While working at Colonial Williamsburg as a visitor aide, I had to wear
issued clothing everyday - little makeup if any, hide watches in your
pocket, wear only approved glasses (not supplied) if you need them, etc.
And STILL, the number one question I was asked - "Do you work here?"

Perhaps the purpose of a dress code should be distinguish employees from
visitors. After spending time in a college town, I really do NOT want to
see nose rings, eyebrow rings, tongue rings and anything other than
earrings and rings for your fingers. Also orange and purple hair and dread
locks need to go in the workplace. It is a personal preference. But as a
former volunteer manager, the volunteers had the same dress code as the
employees - no jeans, no perfume (I have a severe allergy to any perfume
made by Elizabeth Taylor), minimal jewelry, etc.

Consider the impression you want to make for your organization. Some people
may think it is infringing on their rights to have a dress code. Well, I
didn't particularly like being called "Little Red Riding Hood" when I wore
my cardinal cloak at Colonial Williamsburg, but I got over it. Be firm and
fair with your choices of what to exclude, but consider the image you want
visitors to take away. Cheers!!
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC
NCNM - Class of 1999
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, Ohio

  "We're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job."
                                        -Capt. Janeway

Museum-L" (without the quotes).