From:
Mara Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:16:16 -0600
Video questions

I'm trying to learn more about how videos are used in conjunction with permanent collections in museums.  We've determined the purpose and general content for several video projects, but would like to learn what we can about making them work best for visitors. If you could take the time to answer any, or all, of the following questions, I'd appreciate it.

Running times on videos vary greatly.  How long is too long?  How short is too short?  What criteria factor into your decision about length?

Have you tried or experienced anything new or innovative that you could tell us about (e.g. a motion sensor to trigger the video)?

Where in a gallery, or series of galleries, should a video be located?  Are there places where video should not be located?

Have you learned anything about visitor psychology as it relates to the video watching environment (i.e. seating, lighting, walls, labeling)?

What have been the best and worst seating arrangements you've experienced?  What about standing or leaning?

What sound systems (ie speakers, headphones, closed captioning, sound-proof barriers) have worked well?  What ones have failed?  Why?

Again, thank you for your time.

Education Department
Denver Art Museum
(720) 913-0070