From:
nancy s jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:53:57 -0800
Having recently left LA, I would have to agree that pay in the low 20s is
not enough.  My one bedroom apartment there cost $650/month; that was
considered low and was that cost only because I had a landlord who didn't
raise the rent for years.  There are places that have lower rent, but
chances are you wouldn't want to walk the streets there even in broad
daylight.  I paid $145/month for car insurance on an 8 year old station
wagon.   Any bills such as electricity, natural gas, gasoline, etc. left
very little to actually live on.  I am still paying off credit card debts
for food, car repair bills, etc.  If you have car payments as well,
hopefully you have some parents or a spouse who makes a living wage to
support you.   I worked in an institution that gave no compensation for
overtime, but strongly encouraged overtime and dressing well.  A second
job was an alternative, but exhausting after working the first one and
driving back and forth on the freeways.  If I knew someone now who was
considering a position in LA, I would tell that person not to accept
anything less than $30,000.