From:
Angela Kipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2017 13:30:39 +0200
AMEN to what Marc and Ware said re: institutional memory,
documentation and facilities assesment.

I like to add the following: Make sure YOU (or whoever is responsible)
understand as much about the science and technology involved as
possible. Even if you are lucky enough to be able to hire an
independent consultant (not someone who comes with the package of some
HVAC company) for the whole period from planning to implementation
(and you really, really, really should) you are still left with a
complex system in a complex house and you need to understand what
consequences result from failures of or willingly turning off of the
system. Make sure you monitor the climate in all the different climate
zones continously with good, calibrated equipment (no, not that
thermohygrograph who hasn't seen a check against a reliable source in
years!).

Also: be aware that companies and engineers might have a tendency to
claim "user errors" or "walls need time to adjust" or similar crap
when the desirable results aren't met, instead of searching what is
wrong with their system. You might have to push often and hard for
them to look at a problem, which is especially the case if you are
"just a historian/archaeologist/woman/[insert prefered reason for
being inferior to someone else]" and don't have a reliable expert on
your side to help consolidate your arguments. Here are two "war
stories" for you:

1. Instead of the desired 59 degrees Fahrenheit the room temperature
circulated around 75. The explanation of the company ranged for months
from "heat that came in during the renovation process", "wrong
temperature measurement" to "it's the electrician's problem, not
ours". Said electrician discovered that one of the valves of the
heating system installed by the HVAC company was stuck, so no matter
what temperature point was set, the heating was on. At the time the
musem already had paid $$$ for unnecessary heating, not to mention a
catastrophic room climate.

2. The HVAC reports a constant climate of 70 °F/ 55% relH with only
minor swings. However, the logger shows a wide range of temperature
and humidity fluctuations. Staff reports that it's either too hot or
too cold. The company's engineer claims that the measurements of the
HVAC must be correct, because they use calibrated sensors, the logger
and the staff is wrong. A few unpleasant discussions later the
facilities manager investigates the subject by himself to discover
that the sensor of the HVAC still sits snuggly on the side of the HVAC
device instead of being placed in the room it should control.

Best wishes
Angela

Angela Kipp
Collection Manager