From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:10:27 -0800
Annual Meeting and Symposium of ICTOP/ICOM
The International Committee on the Training of Personnel of ICOM will be
meeting  from May 24 - 29 at the University of Victoria in British
Columbia. The meeting will include the following components:

Wednesday, May 24 - Board Meeting
Thursday - Saturday, May 25 - 27 Symposium Sessions
Sunday, May 28 - Field Trip
Monday, May 29th - Final Board Meeting

We look forward to a lively meeting of ICTOP member and others involved in
the training and continuing education of museum and heritage professionals.
A program for the meeting and symposium along with registration materials
will be available in March of 2000.

In the meantime, we are seeking papers and presentations, as noted in the
following Call for Papers:

ICTOP 2000 Symposium -- Call for Papers

Our ability, as trainers, to be responsive to learners throughout the
museum field is complicated by tremendous diversity in learners'
specializations, preparation, competency requirements, resources, and
career aspirations. This symposium draws on a combination of keynote
presentations, participants' papers, and discussion groups, to explore key
learner characteristics which influence all aspects of professional
education.

Working within a framework of contemporay theory and practice in adult
education, we are seeking papers that contribute to our understanding of
the following themes:

- professional, personal, cultural, career span and life span factors which
shape learner needs, interests and behaviours

- competency development in the context of personal, professional, and
institutional expectations

- program delivery strategies that respond to learner needs and styles

Please submit a brief abstract of your proposed paper to the Conference
Committee by February 1, 2000. In addition to describing the focus
and content of your paper, pleaseindicate how it will be relevant to one or
more of the themes listed above.

Abstracts will be reviewed according to the following criteria:

- relevance to the symposium themes and sessions

- integration of theoretical and practical elements

- presentation of innovative and useful strategies for understanding and
responding to learner needs

Papers will be selected in early February and incorporated in the Symposium
schedule according to theme. A poster session will also be featured during
the Symposium to provide a venue for short presentations on topics that are
not encompassed by the thematic sessions.

Please submit abstracts to:

ICTOP Symposium Committee
c/o Cultural Resource Management Program
Division of Continuting Studies
University of Victoria
PO Box 3030, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3N6
Telephone 250 721 8462
FAX 250 721 8774
Email: [log in to unmask]

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural  Management Programs
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp