From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:14:14 -0600
Morris and Peter make an interesting point.  Immersive exhibits can and
should be thought of as interactive in that they stimulate visitors
curiosity about the content and allow for exploration and discovery in
ways other than the traditional look and read method.  The World War I
trench at the First Division Museum at Cantigny being a great example.
All the sights and sounds (wish there was smells too) of the trenches
with not a label in sight.

Their comments also force me to reveal my own bias in interactive
exhibits.  As my example of the Oregon Trail wagon shows, I prefer low
tech, multiple input/multiple output devices. That's what I like so they
must be the best, right?  I did not mean to imply that feeling different
animal pelts has no interpretive value or is somehow an inferior
interactive.  In fact my wife, who touches and smells everything, gets
more out of that kind of simple interactive than some of the more
complex things we've tried.  And computers make fantastically engaging
interactives.  Come to our exhibit opening this fall to see our new
touchscreen and large plasma monitor interactive that allows you to have
a conversation with a virtual 1840s teenager.  Best practice, in my
opinion, requires a suite of devices, great and small, each pitched to
one or more of the various learning modalities and intelligences.

So lets reframe the parameters of the discussion.  What immersive
exhibits do you all think work best and why, AND what interactive
exhibit elements, simple or complex, computerized or not, have you seen
lately that you think worked really well (and why)?  Examples should
still be accessible to visitors without the presence of an interpreter.
And I would still like to limit the discussion to history (and
anthropology) museums because I believe that those of us who work in
these types of museums might not be thinking creatively enough when we
develop new exhibits.

Finally, David Lewis replied off list with a link to a website put up by
Eugene Dillenberg (who I know is lurking out there somewhere) of a great
variety of exhibits he feels have some merit.  And a few that don't.
It's an interesting and thought provoking site and I pass the link along
again now: http://www.msu.edu/%7Edillenbu/exhibits/exshell.html .

Dan