From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:17:29 -0500
I'd like to add to what Rick said, all of which I agree with.  Loose
historic windows may be the source of the moisture between the plexi and the
window.  Tightening up the historic windows with help with both insects and
moisture.  However, even in tight window/plexi installations, you may still
get those pesky cluster flies.  I don't know where they appear from
(obviously eggs), but they are virtually impossible to prevent, so
occasional removal of the plexi for cleaning may be necessary.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com <http://www.conservator.com/>
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)

(without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).