From:
Susan Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:49:15 -0600
I am coordinating a traveling exhibit for a small museum that has never sent
out an exhibit for travel before.  The artwork which will travel in the
exhibit is valued at half a million dollars total.  I am needing a very
strong two-party loan agreement to use between the exhibit organizer and the
exhibit venues.  If anyone has a sample copy that they would be willing to
share, I would appreciate it greatly.

Also, I am needing some additional advice on insurance concerning this
traveling exhibit.  In talking to various curators and registrars, there
seems to be some differing opinions on what type of insurance to take out.
Most have suggesting taking out wall-to-wall insurance coverage that will
cover the works while in-transit and while they are on display at the
venues.  Some have suggested just taking out in-transit insurance and
letting the exhibit venues cover the works while they are on display in
their museums or galleries.  However, the insurance company representing the
exhibit organizer is concerned that if the burden of insuring the works is
left to the venues, that their policies, even with a certificate of
insurance, will only be liability coverage, which is not enough to cover the
works in the event of any damage.

Also, is there any way to uncover and document any damage that might occur
to the artworks-either while in-transit, or while being handled by the
venues, other than having the venues fill out condition reports when they
receive the works and as they send them back out?  The insurance company for
the organizer, which unfortunately is not experienced in covering traveling
art exhibits, is concerned that if the works are damaged while on tour that
even with the condition report system, that the actual party responsible for
the damage is not likely to own-up to the responsibility.

I would appreciate your feedback and sample loan agreements.

Thanks,

Susan Wells