Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:05:56 -0600
I hope that this does start some discussion on the list. As the ED for a
new museum, I know that we are constrained in developing exhibits that are
well designed for multiple disabilities, (Being in a historic structure
that is anything but physically accessible is a whole other issue.)

I am intrigued by your idea to set up information so that people of varying
disabilites can assess the situation themselves for a visit. Can you
elaborate? Is there a level of accessibility that the average visitor with
special needs would require/appreciate?

As for the Web, I think that it holds great promise as more of us think
about creating web-based exhibits or versions of actual ones. However, we
do this hoping that eveyone who "visits" has the latest plug-ins and a
great system. Does anyone consider any special needs? I would be interested
to learn about any museum's strategies along these lines.

Maureen Daly
William F. Eisner Museum of Advertising & Design

Randy:
I would be interested to know more about you firm, too. Off list is fine
too [log in to unmask]

>Let me introduce myself. I am the president of a small information
>technology firm in Colorado. We specialize in knowledge management
>related issues with a particular focus on disability.
>
>We are currently involved in a research project based on the premise
>that people with disabilities find it very difficult to acquire the
>information necessary to decide whether a destination (like a museum) is
>accessible (in all the dimensions of this term). We are identifying the
>set of material that people from different disability groups need to
>make informed choices about destinations as well as their preferred
>methods for reviewing that information.
>
>We developed a very early prototype of the sort of information required
>for the World Alpine Ski Championships at Vail, Colorado. We are
>currently beginning a second prototype for an interior display venue
>(like a museum) for the Colorado Ocean Journey.
>
>It seems to me that what we are doing has an intersection with the whole
>museums and the web area. This includes not only what museums should
>publish about their accessibility, but also providing virtual visits as
>an alternative for people with disabilities.
>
>I am curious as to whether there is interest in this special focus
>within the museum list.
>
>--
>Randy Dipner
>President
>Meeting the Challenge, Inc.
>3630 Sinton Road, Suite 103
>Colorado Springs, CO 80907-5072
>719-578-8448 (voice/TTY) 719-444-0269 (fax)
>email: [log in to unmask]

Maureen Daly
William F. Eisner Advertising & Design Museum
Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
273 E. Erie Street
Milwaukee WI 53202
414-350-7889 voice (cell)