From:
"W. Coones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:00:29 -0800
Terrill, Bronwyn wrote:

> Please excuse cross-postings.
>
> I am hoping for information and creative techniques concerned with
> layering of information in exhibitions
> and/or
> ways of providing access to further information within (or adjacent to)
> exhibition spaces.
>
> As a new Programs & Research area in the Museum of Victoria (Australia),
> we of the Human Mind and Body team are faced with the challenge of
> developing projects with particular angles, while providing visitors
> with access to a wealth of medical information as broad or detailed as
> they desire. More detailed information (eg. which allow visitors to look
> up what a gene is and does, or the importance of a hormone) is currently
> available on the internet, CD-ROM encyclopaedias and disease
> dictionaries or could be provided through other prepared media eg. fact
> sheets, voice recordings etc. - but questions surround the method of
> access (how many computer terminals are REALLY useful in an exhibition).
> How can interested visitors be directed to this wealth of information?
> Should it be within the exhibition space, or in another area? Will it
> distract from the experience around it? Are there other creative methods
> of providing deeper information?
>
> If you have seen successful approaches to this, know of brilliant
> references or have wonderful or unusual suggestions - I look forward to
> hearing from you. Thanks in advance - please reply off list.
>
> Cheers
> Bronwyn

> ------------------------
> Bronwyn Terrill                            PO Box 666E
> Learning Advisor                         Melbourne  Vic  3001  Australia
> Human Mind and Body              Tel:  61 3 92912187
> Programs & Research              Fax:  61 3 9291 2139/2195
> Museum of Victoria                    email:  [log in to unmask]
> ------------------------
Facinating question which many of us contemplate.

I have two examples from either end of the spectrum.  A 2000 sq.ft. room
at the St. Louis Zoo with an agressive, high energy style and some
learning areas at the Denver Art Musuem with a passive, relaxed style.

The Zoo's octagonal room is covered with "stuff" from floor to ceiling
on the different classifications of animal life.  There are digital
displays, graphics panels, live specimens, video, computers.  You name
it, it's there.  There is no clear start or end point.  The name of the
class on each wall is a flashing digital display, then the order is
written in colorful, still-graphics, with some extra info.  Then
information about the specimens, or other specific information is
printed on smaller, less obtrusive panels.  There is something for
everyone in this room.  You can watch the sea anemones sway in the
current of the aquarium, work with a computer program about food chains,
or look at comparisons of various mammal skeletons on a flip chart.
There is so much information, you know its immpossible to see it all in
one trip.  You feel like you're given a choice, rather than being forced
to read and do.  Lots of information which can hold its own on many
levels.  However, there is nowhere to sit down, and you can easily be
overwhelmed.

The Denver Art Musuem has a variety of galleries, all of which have an
"artifact free" section with comfortable chairs, couches and carpet.
These sections have videotapes you can choose from to watch on the
monitor with wireless headphones.  There are books, audio with
headphones, activities, and a few games. (their backpack program
deserves note) There are kid and adult materials, but the space is used
equally by all age groups.  The visitor gets a feeling they are welcome
to stay and explore/research as long as they want with the artifacts and
artwork still within view.  It invites reflection and "living with" the
artwork.

The connections of ideas in each place is thorough and thoughtful. What
both require to fully appreciate the wealth of information presented is
TIME.  Are we ready to invite our visitors to come learn with us for a
long visit?  How can we give them access to information they can peruse
on their own time, or encourage repeat visits. How can we be intrigueing
rather than didactic?

The one opinion I will voice on this matter relates to "bombarding" the
visitor with information they don't care about.  Visitor evaluations
often show that visitors ignore reading "important" stuff and walk past
the curator's "baby".  I would hope we don't start to dumb-down our
exhibits simply because we've made some presentation mistakes in the
past.

Wendy Coones
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History