From:
Alistair Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:45:32 +1000
Personally, I'd make copies on cd-rom or dvd using a non-lossy encoding
algorithm.  This way the deterioration is greatly lessened, copies can be made
without quality reduction, and (if you choose your medium and algorithm well)
the means to read them will be around for a long time.  This latter reason is
why I suggested cd-rom and dvd: commercial commitment to them is already very
high, and it's unlikely that they will vanish in a hurry (unlike e.g. the large
laser videodiscs, 8-inch floppy discs, and betamax videotapes).

If you're interested (or may become interested) in editing the recordings,
digital media are usually much easier to work with.

All common magnetic tapes (and discs) do eventually lose their data, and they
deform with heat stress, and large spools will be unevenly stretched by their
own weight.  The archival businesses that use(d) them have established routines
for refreshing them every once in a while - re-winding, re-recording, rotating
(to even out gravity stretching) et c.  The proximity of layers in a spool also
causes some cross-leakage that has to be periodically removed by re-recording.
Optical storage nearly eliminates these problems.  If you can find some
introductory computer science textbooks from the 70's or 80's, they often have a
chapter or two on the practicalities of magnetic data storage.

A suggestion: type a subject into your messages.  It's to your benefit: many
people (including me, if I'm rushed) immediately or automatically delete
messages without subjects, because the important messages will 'always' have
subject fields.

Alistair Kwan                                        -
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]