From:
"Matz, Janelle H" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:24:17 -0800
 I had a nice "ahah, I know this one!" You decide if it's the same thing:
Last year we were gifted the local Elks Club "Blackball Box".  While I'm not
sure of the particulars, (not being an Elk) colored balls were placed in the
hinged compartment and rolled out thorough the hole.  The number of black
balls placed among white could be used for selection or voting - leading to
the use of the term "blackballed".  Our box is the same size and general
description, but with a metal curved "spout" in the hole opening to
facilitate the ball departure. We have a manufacture's label :DeMeulin Bros
& Co./Lodge Supplies/Greenville Ill.

Janelle Matz
Collections Manager
Anchorage Museum of History and Art