From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:34:44 -0600
Dear All:

I couldn't help but wonfder if, collectively, we can name all the varied
decorated animal sculpture fundraisers.  I've jotted down what I could find.
I hope others might add those I missed.

Zurich started it all in 1998 with cows.  Chicago, with a history of
stockyards, duplicated Zurich's idea in 1999.  New York, mysteriously, chose
cows, too . . . also 1999.  (It's kept going and going . . . for more, see:
http://www.cowparade.com/)

Since then, other cities have chosen other animalian forms, including:

Augusta (GA) - golf balls
(How masterful!)

Boston (MA) - cod
(Perhaps they should have done tea cups?)

Buffalo (NY) - buffalo
(Duh!)

Cincinnati (OH), Des Moines (IA), Seattle (WA) - pigs
(Oink!  Iowa raises 'em, Cincinnati slaughters 'em - but Seattle?  Perhaps a
coffee bean or computer chip?)

Lexington (KY) - horses
(Of courses!  Del Mar also did horses.  Anyone else?)

Lincoln (IL) - dogs
(Never been there, so "no comment" will have to suffice.)

Los Angeles (CA) - angels
(Talk about irony?)

Los Gatos - cats
(Makes sense, huh?  See: www.losgatosartcats.org/index.php)

Nashville (TN) - catfish
(Bottom feeders . . . YUM!)

New Orleans (LA) and Richmond (VA) - fish
(Perhaps a string of multi-colored beads or a big bottle of booze would have
been appropriate for New Orleans?)

upper New York state (Finger Lake Community College) - deer
(see: http://www.brynmawr.edu/Alumnae/bulletin/fiete.htm)

Norfolk (VA) - mermaids
(How Copenhagen!)

Omaha (NE) - humanoid figures
(I was living in Omaha at the time.  Some designs were interesting, but the
form indicates some hidden unknown.  See: http://www.jdoeproject.com/)

Orlando (FL) - lizards
(Maybe they were really geckos?)

Rochester (NY) - Maybe I missed the theme animal?
(See www.democratandchronicle.com/entertainment/arts/features/ent_1119.shtml)

St. Paul (MN) - Snoopy
(No such thing as creativity . . .)

Tampa Bay (FL) - turtles
(Slow moving . . . appropriate for Florida?)

Toronto (ON) & Whitefish (MT) - moose
(I grew up in Toronto, but never saw a moose in the city until this.  Maybe in
Whitefish you can see moose in the streets?)

By now, I wonder if this phenomenon has ridden the wave too far, crashing
against the jagged rocks along the shore?

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Assistant Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
t   435 797 0165
f   435 797 3423
e  [log in to unmask]
www.artmuseum.usu.edu

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Claus Moser (b. 1922)