From:
Elizabeth Ferrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:03:57 -0700
Lisa, as an ex-museum director, my opinion is that the
director must approve because the director has
ultimate responsibility.  If something went wrong with
the loan, or if the loan ended up causing a
budget/personnel issue, the director would be the one
to answer to the trustees.  Certainly, the curator
would make the decision as to whether or not an object
is needed by his/her own institution, especially if
the work is part of a permanent display.  And the
registrar should decide whether or not a work should
travel.  But even if all the director spends two
seconds scanning and signing a loan form, he or she is
at least aware that the work is going out the door for
a while.  If the director does not have that
opportunity, he or she may not even know that the loan
took place.

One proviso:  This is probably not true of the largest
institutions; at huge museums, there is a larger
hierarchy to take care of such things, but generally,
a senior administrator will be involved in  approving
the loan.

Elizabeth Ferrer