From:
Julie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:13:59 -0500
I used to work for a small gallery with no budget for fancy attendance counters. We kept track of attendance for Members, Seniors, Students, & Children, by using colored tickets, like a ticket you would get at a fair for a raffle. You can get large rolls of them fairly cheap. As people came through the door, a volunteer "greeter" would drop a colored ticket corresponding to a specific category into a bowl. The visitor did not get the ticket. Each category had its own color. At the end of the day if we had 25 blue tickets, I knew that we had 25 seniors. If we had 40 red tickets, we had 40 members, etc. There certainly is room for error but at the end of the year we had approximate totals for all the groups and which days were busiest for each group.
Another good tool is a simple sign in book with sections for name, address, and any other optional information.

J. Clark