From:
Aron Mohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:28:25 -0700
I hesitate to respond, given that I have not been to
the museum and therefore have no knowledge of its
effect upon visitors. However, having read a few of
the criticisms of the museum (thank you to those who
brought them to my attention through the listserv), I
can't help but notice that few of these have rejoiced
in the fact that the museum has given Native Americans
the opportunity to interpret there own history and
present it in the way that they see fit. I actually
find the way the Slate article discusses the museum's
presentation of the "legend" of how the world was
created offensive and extremely insensitive.

The fact that the museum showcases its commercial
elements to the detriment of its mission is
unfortunate (but, let's face it, hardly exceptional).
And, if indeed exhibitions are being given to the
"highest bidder" (again, stated in the Slate article),
it is engaging in unethical practices. However, I
think we need to be careful before we condemn an
exhibit as lacking sufficient "curatorial oversight"
just because we don't like the way the artifacts are
being interpreted.

Again, I may be speaking out of turn, having not yet
visited the museum but I do think these critical
articles could have mentioned at least a few of the
strengths of the museum in its attempts to address
some extremely complex issues.

Aron Mohr.