From:
Heidi Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 12:41:51 -0600
While internships are an excellent way to network, especially for
professionals new to the field, quite a bit of committment is made when
taking on an internship.  Internships do not require the same kind of
committment as a career, but they still are a committment.  Students are
expected to work their best at an institution for 3 months, 6 months, 9
months, or longer without being paid?  I have no problem with working
hard for a long period of time, but please, I would like to know how
museums can expect students to work full time for them for several months
with no pay, keeping in mind that the students do have bills (rent,
utilities, food), when the student can get another job that wil put food
on the table.
Some provisions should be made to help students support themselves while
they are working on an internship.  Some sort of payment, a stipend, a
scholarship, room and board provided by the museum, something to help
make a volunteer internship more possible for the student.
I agree that contacts are important, but not as important as eating for
six months while working at an internship.
If interning and meeting some great contacts means starving, is it really
worth it?

Heidi Anderson