Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:24:14 -0700
The 1998 American Association for State and Local History will hold its
1998 annual conference in Sacramento, CA September 9-12. The conference
theme is "It's A Living: The Business of History".

I have been asked to put together a session on product development geared
specifically toward history museums, foundations, societies etc. I would
appreciate suggestions for either speakers who might be interested in
participating in the session with me or case studies which I can include in
the presentation.

I have been doing product development for our capitol building for 5 years
as part of our education department. I am active in The Museum Store
Association, but do find sometimes the scholarly aspects of what we do as
museums get overshadowed by
a retail "bottom line" mentality. Since I come at the topic from an
education/museum studies background, the session focus will be on this
balance between matching products with missions and making profit.

If you know individuals or organizations you feel do a good job with
product development for history related themes, please contact me at the
address below.

Thanks in advance-
Sandra

Sandra L. Harris