From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:50:54 -0800
First off, check the State of Washington regulations on the disposal of assets of a non-profit organization.  Some years back, when I was an officer of a Wisconsin non-profit organization, I received a booklet from the Office of the Wisconsin Secretary of State which indicated that, upon dissolution, a non-profit's assets could only be distributed to other non-profits.  Unless the officers and representatives of the museum want to be liable for taxes on items disposed of without regard to the relevant State of Washington laws, this would be the first step.

Perhaps AAM, AASLH or state or regional organizations could offer some advice.  In the current economic situation with both private and public sector support being reduced, it's likely there will be more mergers and museum closings.  This might make an interesting program at an annual meeting, assuming there is enough similarity in the way the different states regulate this process.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI