Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:30:26 -0500
Greetings all:

Last week, the Kilgarlin Center at the University of Texas, Austin hosted a
symposium entitled "From Gray Areas to Green Areas:  Developing Sustainable
Practices in Preservation Environments".  Funding came from The Getty
Conservation Institute; The J. Paul Getty Foundation; The Center for
Sustainable Development at the School of Architecture, UT Austin; the Harry
Ransom Humanities Research Center; the University of Texas Libraries, and
O's Campus Café.  Speakers came from a variety of disciplines and addressed
the following (from the School of Information website
www.ischool.utexas.edu/kilgarlin/gaga/):

+ Policy and Politics: What are the key factors that make integrating
sustainable technologies in preservation facilities possible? Who are the
people we need to convince? What public policies can create positive change
in our practices?

+ Costs and Benefits: What are the hard numbers associated with sustainable
buildings, materials, and practices? In what ways can we quantify the
benefits of green buildings, using renewable energy resources, and other
sustainability-oriented changes when the up-front costs may be high?

+ Engineering, Adaptive Reuse and New Buildings: What can changing the
shapes and characteristics of preservation facilities do for sustainability?
How are new building materials, thoughtful design, and adaptive reuse going
to contribute to sustainable preservation environments? What projects are
leading the way for us?

+ Indoor Environments: How will we refine our working and storage
environments to create places where preservationists and the materials they
preserve can coexist comfortably?

+ Practicality and Practices: What steps can preservationists take to
increase recycling, reduce chemical waste, and find alternatives to
hazardous materials?

May Cassar, listed in Sean's e-mail, was originally listed as the keynote
speaker.  When she was unable to attend Michael C. Henry, PE, AIA, of Watson
& Henry Associates (preservation architects and engineers) presented the
keynote address entitled "What will the cultural record say about us?
Stewardship of culture and the mandate for environmental sustainability".

This was one of the best conferences that I have ever attended.  It was
small enough to generate dialog among the participants.  My understanding is
that the proceedings will be published.  In the meantime, information about
the speakers and their session abstracts can be found at the website cited
in the link above.  A blog has also been established so that the discussions
can be continued and others who were unable to attend can participate in
these important discussions.  The link to the blog is on the above-cited
website.

Wendy

Wendy Claire Jessup
Preventive Conservator