From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 09:01:17 -0400
Judy- The Hands-on-History Center at the National Museum of American
History was developed by the museum's Department of Public Programs
in 1986-88 in response to the tremendous popularity of a hands-on
section in the museum's exhibit "After The Revolution". The principal
developers were Betty Sharpe and Nancy McCoy; I was their
supervisor. During the development process we looked closely at the
Discovery Room at the National Museum of Natural History across the
street, the history exhibits at the Indianapolis Childrens' Museum,  and the
discovery room at the Royal Ontario Museum. The self-directed activities
at the Museum of Natural History influenced us greatly, as did the quiet
and restful ambiance of the discovery room at the ROM. I would be
happy to correspond with you off-list and put you in touch with Nancy
and Betty if that would be helpful. -Lonn Taylor, National Museum of
American History ([log in to unmask])